While we continue to investigate for a replacement technology, I have found yet another disturbing problem with MailEssentials. It turns out, that under certain circumstances we have yet to identify, that the product will report that it is blocking an E-mail message, but it will still deliver that message to the user.
We changed all of the modules to create a log file of their actions so that we could see what the product “thought” it was doing. On different servers handling different domains, the results were consistent. Every module at one point or another reported that it was taking the appropriate action (delete, send to Junk E-mail, send to another address, etc.), yet it was actually delivering the message to the user’s inbox. It seems to take some time (3+ days) before this occurs on a fresh reboot of the server. However, it has been consistent. After the reboot, things appear to go back to normal until the next time.
We are convinced more now than ever that this product has taken a serious step backwards in development and effectiveness. While we were strong advocates of this product in years past, it is clear that this should not be deployed in any production environment, no matter how small.